
I went in to the affiliate Boston Sports Club in Central Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts. [New York Sports Club is part of a chain of clubs, doing business variously as NYSC, BCS, PSC and WSC. Just go to http://www.nysc.com/ and see how you can click on any of those logos to change websites.] "How much for a month-to-month membership?," I asked. "Let me call a sales representative," said the girl at the desk. "I don't want to talk to a sales representative. I just want to know how much a month-to-month membership costs." "I don't have that information here," she replied. "It changes so frequently that I couldn't guarantee its accuracy." Bull***t, I thought, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. "Okay, let me talk with a sales representative," I said. "I'll call him," she said. Then she pushed a form across the desk at me. "I need you to fill out this form." "I don't want to fill out any forms," I replied. "I used to sell houses. I know what you're doing. You're trying to get me used to filling out forms for you, so its easier to sell me a membership." A minute later, the sales representative shows up. "I am interested in a month-to-month membership." That was a mistake. I should have asked, "How much for a month-to-month membership?" It was a mistake because it allowed him to reply without giving information. "We can do that for you," he said. "Let me give you a tour of the facilities." Then he looked over at the blank form. "I'll need you to fill out the form." "I'm not filling out any form and I don't want a tour. I just want to know how much for a month-to-month membership." "Fill out the form!," he commanded, at which point I thanked them, excused myself and left.

No comments:
Post a Comment